Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Little Girls and Feminism

Last week, we discussed the sexism. We watched videos that depicted women's problems as not only dealing with day to day tasks like men, but also the fact that women constantly worry about being sexually assaulted, pay inequalities, etc. A couple of weeks ago I saw this video of little girls in princess dresses discussing feminism and such.

I know we're all in college, but this does have a lot of cussing in it.

I've seen some negative comments about how they made these little girls cuss just to get the point across. They wish they didn't use such vile language. However, this video just shows what it takes to get the attention of people. Personally, I love it. It shows exactly what women and girls go through on a day to day basis, and it doesn't sugarcoat it at all. If these little girls can understand this concept, so can men.

1 comment:

  1. I thought this was a very interesting video and I appreciate the point that they are trying to make. I believe that women should have all of the same rights and benefits that a man has and that blatant sexism is a problem that the world is facing. However, how much does the cursing really add to the point they are trying to make. Why would you need to compare things like women's rights and equality to something like cursing. One is good no matter what the given situation is and the other is appropriate some of the time but certainly not in the mouths of young girls. To me it would be like someone filming young teens dancing inappropriately on camera and saying "instead of focusing on this, you should know that America is still being racist against minorities". Yes, it would get people's attention but it does not add anything to what you are saying.

    Another thing that I take issue with is the word pretty. Are they asking that I not compliment women on how they look? If a person looks particularly nice on any given day, I will compliment them regardless of their gender. If a person demonstrates intelligence I will let them know. Would it not be sexist of me to limit the type of compliments I give someone based on their gender.

    ReplyDelete